Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I started my rx of adderall xr 10mg today I notice I felt…

I started my rx of...
I started my rx of adderall xr 10mg today I notice I felt more relaxed and less frustrated and irritable and more centere problem is I took it at around 945 this am but noticed it wore off about 530 ish which is my worst time with the chaos at dinnertime and bedtime routine in my house
My questions are how long should it last? and since it seemed to run out at the worst time do they ever prescribe it for 2x a day?
6/26/2010
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
the XR usually lasts 8 hours. Some doctor will give a short acting medication for the afternoon and evening if needed. You don't want to take the XR twice or it will keep you awake all night.

The short acting would be Ritalin 5 mg, for instance which will last 3-4 hours. Perhaps you could take the Adderall a little earlier and the Ritalin at 3 or 4 PM.

Another option would be to take the Adderall later so that it is working from 11 to 7:00 PM. Only do that when your sure it will not interfere with your sleep.

Just a little more adjustment and you should have an adequate treatment.

sorry another quick question I also have anxiety/panic disorder and i know anxiety can be part of the adhd and the adderall seemed to help that because when the xr wore off I felt anxious again is that normal that the xr would help my anxiety so when it wears off I would feel it again?

That sounds very normal and logical. Adderall is not used to treat anxiety but maybe what you experience as anxiety is really the impulsive ( "hyperactive") component of ADHD.

Sounds like you may have found the answer to relieve of at least part of your anxiety feelings. Panic attacks might be something else though.
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
thank u so much
also thanks to you for accepting.