Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Have lifetime history of anxiety. Lexapro has helped me

Customer Question
Have lifetime history of anxiety...
Have lifetime history of anxiety. Lexapro has helped me function well, but is not fully covered by my insurance and I need to consider other medications. What steps do I take from here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

Your insurance company will have a "formulary", which is a list of medication by group that they cover. It's probably going to be easier for you to call them and go through it there first.

The next step is to look at Walgreens and Walmart's list of medications...they have psychiatric meds for $4/month. You can take that list to your doctor and see if they think any of them would work for you.

You can also look into buying it from Canada, where it's called Cipralex. link

Good luck in your search.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
there are many on the the formulary and it feels overwhelming what should I look for in a new medication? Since lexapro and Effiexor have been the best-- what else might work for me?
I wonder if Celexa would do well for you, but I'm better at helping people communicate with their doctor about their medication than I am at choosing one - that's out of my area of expertise.

Anna