Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am in California right now and my psychiatrist is in

Customer Question
maryland. I went...
I am in California right now and my psychiatrist is in maryland. I went to the ER for panic attacks and they told me to call my psychiatrist in the morning. I called him this morning because I take 6mg of Klonipin daily and he told me to just go back to the hospital even though I only have enough medication for one more day. The last time I tried to stop Klonipin on my own I spent 6 days in the hospital. What should I do? Since I will not be going back to Maryland until July 16.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/25/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:

Please do not stop the Klonipin on your own. The withdrawal can be life threatening. Your psychiatrist should be able to call in a prescription for you in California until you can get back to Maryland. If he is unwilling to do this, please go to an Urgent Care Center and get one from them. You should not stop the Klonipin suddenly. Please take care of this immediately. You need to avoid another hospitalization.
I went to the hospital again on Friday and they said there is nothing they can do unless my phsychiatrist called in a script for me. I called him back but he told me to just go back to the hospital again or find another phsychiatrist in California which is crazy since I am leaving California on the 10th of July. I am already going through withdrawel plus I take this medication along with Depakote to control my seizures since a brain injury last year.
Are their any places you can recommend in California, it seems no medical personnel wants to help me.
sorry, I live in Colorado. Can you go to an Urgent Care Center? Your psychiatrist is being very irresponsible and I would threaten a complaint to the licensing board. If you continue with withdrawal symptoms, please go to the hospital again. Withdrawal from benzos can be life-threatening.

Even if the hospital and doctor think you are drug-seeking, which is probably the case, they still need to take care of you. Be assertive.
Carol Kryder LMFT
I tried a urgent care center last afternoon and they refused to help also. I can only hope that I can hold on until I get back to Maryland.
OK, if they won't help you then go to the nearest ER when you start withdrawal symptoms. Tell them what happened. They must treat you because the withdrawal is life-threatening.