Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

How do I know if anxiety is causing illness or whether I am…

Customer Question
How do I know if...
How do I know if anxiety is causing illness or whether I am actually ill? I am constantly fatigued and have been for a lot of help from mental health, PCP and sleep health center. Still it persists with no obvious cause. what have I missed?. The only thing I can think of is Lymes disease in my spinal fluid - it's the only place they haven't looked. The reason I metnion it is that I have had Lymes disease in the past and I have recently been bitten by a tick for which I am taking Doxyclcine.
Anyhow, is it all ni my mind or is it real, how do I know, and how do I help other people hwlp me to know? it is an interesting and irritating question.
To add - I am also hypothyroid and currently treated with Levoxyl, also Gluten soy and corn intolerant.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/26/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

This is what I suggest for people locked in your dilemma who have sought extensive medical help already: since you're getting medical help and those needs attended to, try to work on it as an anxiety/nervousness issue for 6 months. As an experiment, assume that you have hypochondria and work like a fighter on anything that will help anxiety: CBT, medication, relaxation, exercise, good eating and proper sleep. You don't stop your medical care, but you stop asking yourself the questions about if it's in your head or not for 6 months. Then evaluate your progress. Did anything you learn work for you? Do you feel better? Is the quality of life better? Is your health better?

For most people, illness is a combination of what happens in your body and brain, and how you cope with it. As an experiment, work both sides of the road and see which one bears the most fruit. You're likely to come out the other side with good tools that will help you deal with many things - medical conditions being one of them.

CBT self help

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna

Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional

Thank you very much Anna,

I think you are correct, funny how it's always so obvious when you know.I will take your advice and try; I was thinking about your answer I have spent the last 6 months worrying that I am ill and nothing significant has changed in that time so there was little point in wasting all that energy on it. I may as well plan on enjoying the next 6 months instead of being anxious about being sick. The only good thing about being a hypochondriac is finding out that you are one.

If I am absolutely logical, the only problems I have are food related stomach problems an injured shoulder and a sleep disorder. So, I don't eat the wrong food, time and perhaps surgery will help the shoulder and the sleep will improve if the anxiety reduces, I think it's a vicious circle. No sleep-fatigue - worry - anxiety - no sleep.

Anyhow thankyou for your advice I will act on it.

Dear *****a,

Thought I would write to you and let you know how I have done since the last time that I wrote to you. The great news is that I am a whole lot better. It was a fight, but I have gone from depressed, ill and worried all the time to attempting a triathlon next weekend. I took your advice to heart, excercise, sleep , meditation and therapy and then 4 weeks ago found out that my thyroid medication was too low. After increasing the dose by 50% I started to feel physically better and that combined with the therapy etc seems to have helped tremendously.

Thank you for your past advice, it was much appreciated at a low point in my life. I will continue to fight, I think I will win.

Best Regards