Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am addicted to adderall and have been for a few years. I…

Customer Question
Hi, i am addicted to...
Hi, i am addicted to adderall and have been for a few years. I do not qualify to receive government or state assistance and I've been denied health insurance because of my previous medical history of a minor neck and back injury caused by an auto accident five years ago. I was prescribed Adderall by my doctor and started to notice that my prescribed dosage wasn't working like it did when I started to take the medicine, so i started to take more each day. I am always tired and Im only 27 but I feel like i am 70. I do not want to discuss my situation with my doctor and I cannot afford to go to a rehab detox facility. I work full time and cannot afford to take the time off work. I want to be happy again and i want to be the old me again. I was prescribed adderall to help with depression and to help me focus better. I would like to know if you have any suggestions as far as dietary supplements, alternative treatments, or resources that you can suggest or recomment? i cannot go to a rehab and I want to do this on my own. i do not have any friends or family that know about my addiction and i do not wish to discuss it with them. If you can offer any advice besides rehab or Narcotics Anonymous, I would greatly appreciate it so much! :)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/25/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You can detox slowly on your own, and you can also connect to anonymous online support systems like In The Rooms or online NA without anyone knowing you. Plenty of people are in your situation and they come out the other end and get back to a normal life, so don't give up when the going gets rough - you can do this alone or with anonymous help if you stick to it.

There are no alternative treatments that have shown through research to treat depression or ADD, but you can take antidepressants that aren't addictive like Adderall. I recommend that you talk to your doctor about trying a SSRI or SNRI type antidepressant - it will help you get off the Adderall and help your depression afterwords.

Reduce your Adderall slowly...25% every couple weeks. This allows your body to adjust and prevents huge withdrawal symptoms that can knock you on your rear. Use self-help CBT to deal with the symptoms that come up and your subsequent feelings that got you there in the first place.

Stay healthy and exercise while this is going on - no matter how much it kills you to do it...it clears your brain and makes it go faster. You can do this!

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna