Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a friend who constantly repeats her dramatic

Customer Question
experiences to me. I know...
I have a friend who constantly repeats her dramatic experiences to me. I know every word ad infinitum. She tries to identify with me because I had breast cancer twice and suffered an abusive relationship. However, I am trying to get on with my life whilst ,when I get she is often sitting in my drive ready to expound yet another drama upon me. The fact that I may be very tired (I work with people with learning difficulties, have a son on the autistic spectrum and an ex-husband with Aspergers syndrome) Am I just someone whotries to mop up others peoples problems? I know that my conditioning has made me vulnerable to appease, but I have not lost my own spirit. Also, I truly care for people and try to imagine what it feels like if I were in their position. However, most positions we are in are out of allowing ourselves to besteredctomy in them.
If it does not feel right regardless of conditioning,empathise and listen to your gut feeling. Your parents can only f--- you up so much. So what do I do with a friend who wants my "freindship" uses vague explainations,constantly tells me about herself and how badly she has been betrayed by her family, doctors,solicitors and uncle tom cobley.
I cannot take any more of her repetitive sense of being a victim. Today for example,she tried to explain that I should forget I had breast cancer and just think what it might have like for her to have a hysterectomy . She speaks of becoming rich whilst always saying how poor she is. Most sentences begin with I, me or my.
Most conversations are totally focussed on her and how hard done by she is, or how lovely she is.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/25/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:
I am having difficulty understanding why you call this woman a friend. It is all about her. There is no give and take. Why is she still in your life?
Relist: Other
I appreciate your reply and understand what you are saying. However, I believe that I am to some extent to blame as I seem to attract needy people. It is not so much about her but about how I can avoid being sucked into other peoples problems beyond the acceptable. This comes very much from my upbringing as I was my mother's mother for most of her life and she was often very unkind to me which left me becoming a people pleaser. I understand my shortcomings and work very hard to overcome them but there is no magic button to click, it is a daily effort and also a learning curve whereby you become aware of others unreasonable demands. I am now simply not feeding her ego. I listen but do not offer her solutions, also I ensure that I am not constantly available.
I am expanding my social circle and letting her know that she cannot just dump herself on me in as kind a way as possible. When she tries the self pitying act out on me and I just ignore it. Whether that will be adequate for her remains to be seen. She is not a bad person but I would like our "friendship", if it survives, to be on a more level footing. None of us are perfect, but we all have to find a level where we are content within ourselves and have a sense of autonomy,something I have been fighting to achieve for myself after almost a lifetime of fitting in with others. Yet I am self sufficient, independent and have no debts. I have brought up five children and dumped two husbands who were replicas of my parents. Everyone comes to me for help yet are only too ready to judge me.
"Families and how to survive them" a book by Robin Skinner and John Cleese described me perfectly, "the scapegoat". Perhaps you have read it. To shed that label is not easy as everyone rebels against you having your own values and opinions because they cannot get what they want. It is not something that can be changed overnight, it takes determination and belief in oneself.
I am working on it every day and every day brings a new challenge.
I can see that I will not be able to be helpful to you. I have opted out and will allow another expert to assist you.