Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What is the word for having a phobia of porta-potties

Customer Question
what is the word for having a phobia of porta-potties
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/24/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Good Afternoon,

There is a different name for the phobia of not being able to defecate and that to urinate in public places/restrooms. The parureis is to do with urination. Parcopresis deals with defecation.

but what is the word that refers specifically to porta-potties
Mental Health Professional: Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Selah R, M.S. LPC
There is not a specific word for each type of phobia. Very few phobia specific words are part of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (called the DMS) which is published by the American Psychiatric Association and used as the gold standard used by psychiatrists, physicians, researchers, therapists, counselors, etc. This would be considered a "Specific Phobia" which would be a diagnosis code of 300.29. Many clinicians would probably call this a "bathroom phobia" unless it was related to something even more specific, like phobia to germs, or phobia of small spaces, what do have different diagnosis codes.

Selah
Selah R, M.S. LPC