Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Please advise. My sister died two months back of a heart…

Customer Question
Hi please advise. My sister...
Hi please advise. My sister died two months back of a heart related disease (she wasn't overweight but smoked - was always short of breath and stressed a lot)... I am unable to control my thoughts that the same thing is going to happen to me...now my stress is out of control - I always have sweaty palms. I got Librax from my doctor but I don't drink it as he said it is addictive. I've gotten to the point where I believe that people can only die from heart diseases and nothing else! She was 36 and I am 25. I cannot go near her house as I was there the night she died and I kept staring at her. On Sunday I went to her grave for the first time and it was hell after that - I am unable to concentrate on any other activities and think that I am going to die from a heart attack soon... I am not even overly excited that I'm getting engaged soon... it's eating me up from the inside and taking away my joy for life... please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/24/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Good Morning,

What you are going through seems triggered by the bereavement process. There are different stages that people go through.

You intrusive/obsessive thoughts can me changed, which will result in feeling better/calmer and less anxious.

You've already consulted a psychologist for 3 sessions. There really is no time frame for the grief process; it is experienced individually. What is usually helpful is CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy because it is a short term oriented counseling.)

Her death may have made you face your own mortality.

Other options would be hypnotherapy, which can provide faster changes by reprograming the subconscious mind.

You are using prayer. If you believe that there are certain things out of your control such as when someone dies, then resorting to the higher power and letting go of the anxiety can help. You would have to surrender to this higher power and make the best of your life while you are here. Everyone has a purpose in life including you. Try to channel that energy into helping others and following your life path.

There are self help tools such as the practice of autosuggestion, using bibliotherapy and workbooks to reprogram your mind.

There are also online support groups

The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy by John P. Forsyth and Georg H. Eifert (Paperback - Jan. 2, 2008)