Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My son is 39 and he displayed a violent temper tantrum

Customer Question
against a driver in a...
My son is 39 and he displayed a violent temper tantrum against a driver in a car that was on a cell phone. My son said he almost hit his children, but I was there and it was not that close. The man came out of his car and they were both screaming face-to-face. Now I was concerned for the entire family that stood there witnessing this scene. My husband tried to calm him down, but it just escalated.
This was suppose to be a family vacation. At breakfast the next day, my son corrected his nephew (parents not there at the time) stating that his nephew (my grandson) was being disrespectful to his grandfather. When my husband said it was not a a big deal, my son exploded. It was a very painful and embrassing exhibition in the restaurant and ruined the weekend for everyone and brought my grandson to tears. I could tell you many more examples, but this just happended this past weekend and I do not know how many more times I can go thru these episodes. I am too old.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/23/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Keane, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Hi, Your son sounds as though he is suffering from Intermittent Explosive Disorder. It is characterized by repeated episodes of aggressive, violent behavior in which a person reacts way out of proportion to the situation. Road rage, and angry outbursts or temper tantrums that involve throwing or breaking objects may be signs of intermittent explosive disorder. A visit to a psychiatrist will confirm the diagnosis since we cannot do that here.
There are treatments available to help individuals with this disorder. I would suggest when he is calm you talk to him about how this is affecting everyone in the family and suggest he see a psychiatrist and get treatment. There are medications that work well when paired with therapy. If he refuses therapy there isn't much you can do. The danger here is that it will only take one episode with the wrong person and he may find himself in real trouble.
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
I know I cannot talk to him about his behavior. He believes he is always right and that his reactions are necessary since he believes no one ever takes him seriously. I am really in a difficult situatiuon.
Hi, That is a problem and there isn't any way you are going to convince him differently. The best thing you can do for yourself is to take care of you, got to therapy and talk to a professional about how you can best handle the situation or limit your time with him. Wish there were a more concrete solution.
Please click accept and leave feedback.