Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I was wondering about my 14 yr old daughter. She has always…

Customer Question
I was wondering about my...
I was wondering about my 14 yr old daughter. She has always been not very social and we didn't send her to school until she was 6 because of this. She has struggled in school and as she gets older she is less socialable and gets teased a lot. We did change schools when she was 6th grade the year before and I know it has caused some problems as far as her getting to know some people in her grade. The other thing is she spends a lot of time in her room and isn't very social at home as well. She has always been lazy and is getting worse. Should I make an appt to see a pyschiatrist or what? I don't know what to do and need some advice!! Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/22/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Good Evening,

She will benefit from speaking to someone (as long as you believe she would be willing to do so)

A psychiatrist is someone who usually would prescribe medication. Instead, you may want to have her see a psychologist who specializes in working with teens.

It would be helpful to figure out the possible reasons for this behavior (personality disorder, social anxiety, depression, cognitive issues, etc) Then, she and the therapist can work on addressing the problem from its source.

She may just be an introvert (without having any mental conditions) In that case she can work on improving her social skills and making some short term goals for herself, find hobbies/activities/interests that can foster that in her.

Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Thanks! This is what I expected to be said. She wants friends but doesn't want to make the first move. She wants to be successfull at things but doesn't try hard enough. In school too she doesn't ask questions and avoids to talk to teachers when she has problems. She is getting better but still has issues! I just can't get her to move!! Well thanks for your help!!

She has to find a way to get the things she wants. She may naturally not listen to you- her mom but if she is willing to talk to the therapist, progress can be made. Just continue to be supportive and give her positive feedback whenever you can.

If you think that she may want some daughter mother activities such as the two of you going to do your nails done, shopping, etc. then explore it with her.