Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am still grieving the loss of my mother last year (2009)

Customer Question
and I simply dread having...
I am still grieving the loss of my mother last year (2009) and I simply dread having to go thru her possessions and get rid of them. No one in my family will help me which makes me feel even more alone. I am by myself at home too often and I am not always a goood timemanager. I have ups and downs which I think are normal. But I feel so lonely and when it rains outside I feel worse. Sometimes I hope that God will help me. I woke up from a dream last night saying "God help us".
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/22/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

It sounds to me like the stress of grieving is using up the low dose of fluoxetine, and that it's time for you to speak with your doctor about increasing the dose or changing to another antidepressant. You're having what we call "breakthrough symptoms"...it's when your depression leaks past the medication barrier that you're currently on. If you get your medication adjusted, you'll be able to move through and complete this part of the grieving process, which will lift the pressure tremendously.

You'll still need to grieve, but you'll be able to do it without the depressive symptoms undermining your progress.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna