Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have just enrolled in an online Course Diploma in

Customer Question
Hello, I have just enrolled in...
I have just enrolled in an online Course Diploma in Psychology.
I am hoping that it will assist me with my people skills, by understanding human nature.
Will this course help?
Oain.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/18/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Keane, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Hi, your course will help you by giving you understanding of psychology. If you have problems with your people skills then you need a therapeutic round of social skills training. I would suggest you try CBT again since that is a very good way to hone your social skills. If it's been five years it would be like a "refresher course". This is an area that needs to be worked on constantly, you can't do it and let it 'wear off". I am sure you will learn from your course but doing therapy along with your learning would be much better.
Please click accept and leave feedback. Good luck.

Dr Keane,

I do not relish the thought of going back to CTB, as it made me question my outlook on aspects that I would rather leave alone, In addition it highlights the areas that I am failing in. I have tryed to maintain the benifits that i have gained from my therapy but It seems to be a difficult task, as I do not interact with peolpe.

Hi, if you do not interact with people how do you think taking a course to understand basic human nature and psychology will help you with people skills? If you are introverted , have problems with social skills and desire a change, then you need to take an action. If you just want to be educated and not change your behavior then you do not have to do anything but work towards your diploma, that is a great goal in itself. Social skills and better people skills are action oriented and one of the only ways to have better people skills. You may want to also look to finding a social skills self help book if therapy isn't for you.
Please click accept and leave feedback.

Dear Dr Keane,

5 years ago I attempted suicide, not because i was depreesed, after an evaluation it was suggested that CBT would be of help for me. I enjoyed my sessions to an extent, and I was able to tell my therapists things that I have never dared tell myself, let a lone any one else.

I never had suicidal tendencys, I just had enough and wanted life to stop.

I have relocated to a new area and i am currently doing a MSc program, and In sept 2011, i will start my PhD, as I would like to be able to teach at an accademic level.

I am hoping that the psycology course that i will be taking will assist me and allow me a greater understanding towards human behavaiour, which I can then apply to myself.

Regards,

Oain.

Mental Health Professional: Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Selah R, M.S. LPC
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Taking courses to better understand psychology and how people operate, in order to better help yourself, is kind of like taking a mechanics course to fix car engines hoping that it will help you be a better driver. It's probably not going to work out exactly the way you are hoping.

That being said, I did have one terrific psychology professor who had no social skills whatsoever. He knew how to teach, and he loved to teach, and he was respected for that. His understanding of human psychology may have made it easier for him to understand why he was so shy, and why people felt frustrated at his lack of social connectedness. But it didn't fix it.

Once you get a better understanding of how you work, how other people see you, how that affects your relationships and your quality of life, then it's time to make the decision if to apply that knowledge. You may have to learn social skills by repeatedly putting yourself into uncomfortable social situations, it doesn't just have to be in a therapy setting. But like a physical muscle, you strengthen those skills, those social muscles, by training, practice, and regular use.

Best wishes in your training, career, and with this issue,
Selah