Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I think my brother is suffering from depression, it has been…

Customer Question
Hi, I think my brother...
Hi, I think my brother is suffering from depression, it has been a little over a year now that he has become very quite, loss interest in studying, doesn't go out with friends, talks about suicide sometime and he has lost a lot of weigh. Whenever I tell him to see a doctor he refuses to go. I want to help him but, I don't know what to do. <br /><br />He took Zoloft but, he thinks that it isn't helping him so, he stoped talking it. I don't know what to do? He always thinks that people are talking about him. He has a lot of pimples so he thinks people are looking at his face. He is also loosing hair. One time he saw a psychiatrist and she told him that he has nervous breakdown. But he has not seen anyone since 7 months ago. <br /><br />Can you please help me. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/18/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:
This is a very distressing situation and I can tell you are very worried about your brother. Unfortunately, if he is not willing to accept help it is very difficult to make him do so.

If he continues to talk about suicide you must take him to the nearest emergency room for evaluation. If he refuses to go, you can ask the police to take him. The problem with depression is that the person isolates, as your brother is doing and will not seek or accept help. That is why depression is so dangerous.

I would try to find out what if anything is important to him and point out to him that he has not been able to enjoy that activity for over a year. For example, if he enjoys photography, but has been moping around the house, you can talk about how he has not gotten out to take any pictures and his life has become very restricted.

You can also point out that the Zoloft didn't help, but he never tried to take something else that might help. Offer to go to the doctor with him for a medication evaluation. Don't be afraid to nag a little bit. This is important. Keep at him and have other family members and friends keep at him until he gives in just to shut you all up.

Since he will not take care of himself you need to take control and make him seek help. Don't give up.

I wish you the very best . This will be difficult, but you can do it. Get as much help from others as you can and confront him until he gets some help.

Warmest regards,