Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am a 39 year old female..for about 2 years now i have been…

Customer Question
i am a 39 year...
i am a 39 year old female..for about 2 years now i have been suffering from depression and anxiety which seems to be related to my menstal cycle..i have tried st johns wort and evening primrose oil..symtoms still persist and i really dont want to take anti depressants but feel that time is not taking care of this..i would appreciate any advice..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/17/2010
Mental Health Professional: Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA replied 8 years ago
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA .

To help me to help you, can you tell me if you have discussed this with your GP?
in a way yes..my marriage broke up about 2 and a half years ago..i broke down and tried anti depressants..about 2 weeks after i started them i got quincy in my throat i ended up in hospital and the doctor advised me to stop them..i wasnt comfortable taking them anyhow..i went to have a marina coil fitted in january..two attempts and a general anethesticlater i only ended up with a perforated uterus as i had 2 ceaserian sections my cervix is very tight some mite say i am a disaster but i do try very hard to press on with life..i am certain there is a conection between how i feel and my menstrul cycle..i also take regular exercise..walk every day and pilates..sorry about the spelling..
Mental Health Professional: Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Selah R, M.S. LPC
Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

You may want to follow up with your gynecologist and ask if they are aware of PMDD. If they are not aware of the condition, or don't take your complaints seriously, find another gynecologist. PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder) can be treated with birth control pills (including the low-dose ones that have fewer side effects), and sometimes benefits from antidepressants. But until the hormonal component is ruled out or treated, the antidepressants may not work at all. It also takes on average two to three tries of different antidepressants to find the one that works best for your body and your symptoms.

Sincerely,
Selah