Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I keep sabotaging my marriage by talking to an ex boyfriend…

Customer Question
i keep sabotaging my marriage...
i keep sabotaging my marriage by talking to an ex boyfriend who happens to be the biological father of my 15 month old son...
i love my husband and we are currently in counseling but not sure its working or maybe i have no clue what to do to stop...
My husband and i have been together for 13 years married for 12 we did seperate 2 times one time because of infidelitiy on his part and one time for my part.
He has become the father of my child and is on the birth certificate as his father... he is a great dad...the other guy tells me constantly he loves me and wants us but my husband forgets to tell me these things. i myself am a counselor by trade which can make cousneling challenging anyway...my parents fought constantly while i was a child and still do actually...even when we go over with their grandson they still fight with each other they have been married for over 40 years
i dont know what to do and my marriage may be on the line now i really dont want to screw up anymore...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/16/2010
Mental Health Professional: Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Tamara
Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm pleased to try to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. But you are right, you are sabotaging your marriage with your choices, so it is important that you figure out how to stop having contact with your ex boyfriend. You need to work on your marriage with your husband, and you don't need to be complicating it by carrying on with another man. You are hearing things you want to hear. That's nice, but that isn't real. It's easy for this man to say all those nice things - he's not married to you. Your husband is married to you, and marriage is about a lot more than hearing "I love you" all the time. Granted, you need to have that. But don't kid yourself that this other person would make everything better for you. Work on your marriage, and don't talk with this other person. Period. You are only confusing the situation, and that isn't fair to you or your husband.

Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara