Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

If a miss diagnosis occurs and anti psychotics are given can…

Customer Question
If a miss diagnosis occurs...
If a miss diagnosis occurs and anti psychotics are given can the patient develop psychosis?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/15/2010
Mental Health Professional: Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA replied 8 years ago
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
To help me to help you, can you give me any more information about the situation?

Why do you think there was a mis-diagnosis?
Recently my daughter (26yrs) has returned home from a psychiatric unit in a hospital in Scotland. She has stopped taking medication for a condition which was diagnosed 10 years ago. That condition was Schizophrenia. She is now home and on no medication at all. She is more able and alert than she has been for years. The mental health team are surprised at such an improvement. I'm now questioning the diagnosis. When she was given her depo injection within a couple of days after having it she would have a psychotic episode. She was admitted to hospital to prepare her for a new medication, however, as she had to stop all her medication before going on to take Closapine, she began to feel better and more able to make an informed choice about her treatment, she has decided to stay medication free. It this improvement I see in her temporary and just wishful thinking or is it possible that an alternative treatment ie. cognitive therapy worth considering?

Hello and thanks for visiting JA

There is evidence that some patients with schizophrenia (20 to 60% are the figures quoted in a study by David Yeomans, ***** *****, Alan Currie, Richard Whale, Keith Ford, Chris Fear, Joanne Hynes, Gary Sullivan, ***** ***** and Tom Burns published by the Royal Colle of Psychiatrists) this year

There is quite a lot of additional evidence in the literature, but the problem is that when remission does happen, it is quite impossible to say how long ot is going to last without the support of medication.

Can you give me a little more info about the depo injection she was having - the precise name of the drug?

My daughter was taking ARAPIPRAZOLE tabs 15mg per day and HALODOL injection every four weeks.
Thanks for getting back to me with the information. I've done a fairly extensive search of the literature associated with Halodol, and can find nothing to suggest that it could precipitate a psychotic episode.

You can see a good resume on the drug here:
http://www.drugs.com/mmx/haldol-decanoate.html

As for CBT, it can be very useful as an adjunctive therapy when a patient is stable and in a mental state which allows him or her to follow the instructions and therapy given, and in this case (bearing in mind what you have said) I would strongly recommend it.
I have been unable to find out if anti psychotic drugs can cause psychosis?
I have been able to find a couple of documented cases of mania thought to have been induced by Olanzapine, an atypical anti-psychotic . Please see here:
http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articles/PMC161651?accid=PMC161651

In addition there are a couple of cases of psychosis induced by Gabapentine, which is not an antipsychotic anti-psychotics. See here:

http://ww1.cpa-apc.org/Publications/Archives/CJP/2002/december/lettersParadoxical.asp

Many anti-psychotic drugs are known to produce so called paradoxical effects - for example a worsening of irritation, anxiety or involuntary movement - but I can't trace any documented cases of anti-psychotic induced psychosis.

There is evidence that some atypical anti-psychotics may worsen Obsessive Compulsive symptoms in rare case. Please see here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1408029/

Other than that there is nothing I can find in the lterature - and certainly I have not come across this in my practice.
Norman M.
Please tell me how to cancel my subscription
Sorry I have not a clue! I have passed your request on to the Site Administration to deal with.