Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My job is stressfull and the problem is that I can not

Customer Question
Hi, my job is stressfull...
Hi, my job is stressfull and the problem is that I can not disengage myself from the worries and anxiety of my work when at home. Recently I feel over-pressure in my head (which often leads to headaches) and in my ears as well as heat in my forehead! Bad signs, I know! but, Any advice?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/15/2010
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:

It is very important for you to learn how to distract yourself from the stress at work. Here are my suggestions:

1/ Before you leave work, imagine that you are taking your anxiety and worries out of your head and put them in your desk drawer. They will be waiting for you when you return to work tomorrow.

2/ Use the commute time from work to home to listen to a relaxation CD, something which will clear your mind and push out the worries from work.

3/ Make an agreement with yourself that once you go through the door of your home you will leave your work problems outside the door. If the thoughts intrude into your mind, just mentally picture yourself placing them outside the door. You can pick them up again on the way to work the next day.

4/ Practice deep breathing if the anxiety becomes an issue for you. Breathe in through your nose, hold for a count of 3, then breathe out through your mouth to a count of 6. When you breathe out imagine that you are blowing out all the tension and anxiety from your body. Do this at least 3 times.

These techniques will help you to avoid thinking about work issues when you are not at work.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have questions.