Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My son, born 1/25/92 is in severe depression. He has had 5…

Customer Question
My son, born 1/25/92 is...
My son, born 1/25/92 is in severe depression. He has had 5 episodes of completely shutting down, uncommunicative, unmotivated, aimless wandering. I took him out of school twice, the 2nd time for good. The episodes were 12/9/0, 1/10/10, 3/26/10, 5/1/10, 6/11/10. He was prescribed Symbyax 5/16 which was working well until 6/11. He smokes marijuana, has experimented with acid, ecstasy, mushrooms that I know of. Should he be hospitalized so that doctors can determine his core problems? I am concerned, worried. Please advise. Denise DXXXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

I would take him to a hospital that would do a comprehensive evaluation for any substance abuse and/or psychiatric disorders he has. The things that you're describing and his age can really go either way on this one, and someone with time and experience can sort it out. He certainly needs help and if you're not getting it right now as an outpatient, I would go further. If there is a university hospital psychiatric unit near you, I would go there.

It's a very critical age, and you're thinking the right things...keep following through.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna