Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have given birth 10 months ago. we are now weaning her and…

Customer Question
I have given birth 10...
I have given birth 10 months ago.
we are now weaning her and I feel like I am spinning out of control. I can feel my hormoes taking over I am becoming the person I was before.
I am angry,love my daughter but dread being around her sometimes. Husband woks out of town most days of the week. I'm off =my meds so I could breast feed,that's done now I am falling. what do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2010
Mental Health Professional: Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA replied 8 years ago
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA

Get back to your doctor and discuss the situation, There are antidepressants which are safe while breastfeeding - please see here:

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Antidepressants_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

Secondly, in addition, I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm

I have to apologize. What was written was correct to some degree but was not written by myself. It was a "friend" writing it maliciously. I sincerely ***** ***** idea what these emails were about and had not even read any of them until today and realized what was happening. I already do see a qualified psychiatrist but I do appreciate your input. What you did say was informative and appreciated. Thank you and hope this solves any problems you may be experiencing. You gave your time and response and I do not wish for you to not be compensated.
Thank you.
Thanks - all you have to do is click the accept button, please