Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am a 49yr. old male that has suffered from depression and…

Customer Question
I am a 49yr. old...
I am a 49yr. old male that has suffered from depression and substance abuse issues for most of my life. My depression and substance abuse issues ruined my marriage of 15yrs. about 3 yr. ago. I am currently seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist. I am on suboxone, celexa and ritalin. I have my 11 yr. old son and 14 yr. old daughter at least 80% of the time. My psychiatrist thinks i am only moderately depressed. I am not functional. I have not held a job in almost 6 yrs., my residence, car and everything else is in a state of shambles almost all the time. I sleep whenever possible to avoid the pain of life. I couldn't kill myself because I know what that would do to my children and family. I can't drink or due illicit drugs as I know that only makes things worse. I am desperate! I don't feel as if I can even take small steps to make myself better. I feel that it is terribly unfair for my kid's to have to live with a depressed father. I don't know how much longer I can go on like this.I am pretty desperate. My name is ***** ***** I am NOT suicidal. I just need some advice and HOPE!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/13/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello Doug, & Welcome to Just Answers.

I think you need to connect to others that truly understand where you're coming from. Have you tried NA or InTheRooms.com? You can pop in and out and it will help you feel human again. Early recovery is hard and takes alot of just putting one foot in front of another, but the payoff is huge. You're not alone in this, and thousand of people recover from both depression and addiction. You didn't get there overnight, and you won't get the benefits of a life well lived till you live it well for awhile. You can do this, and in a short while, the good times will come.

About your psychiatrist underestimating your depression...I would confront them and ask why they think that?

It is hard on your children, but it's hard on you too. There is a part of this where you have to pull yourself up by the bootstraps, though. You're on meds, you're not drinking or drugging. Now is the time to re-learn how to live. It's a skill, and you can relearn it. You just have to start out doing little bits each day. You'll be surprised at how quickly they add up.

To start off, do each of these every day, and then add your own list at the end.
Make your bed
Shower and shave and get dressed
Clean your room
Clean your bathroom
Put a load of laundry through.
Connect with other humans

Self help CBT
will also help you shape your behavior into something that will work better for you.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna