Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

How can i stop myself overdosing?

Customer Question
how can i stop myself overdosing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/11/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Overdosing with what?
i have diabetic tablets and anti-depressants
Ok, are you having urges to take too many on purpose to harm yourself? If so, I would like you to call a supportive friend and give the pills to them for now. Then, go to the emergency room for an evaluation for your safety. This is considered a medical emergency and needs immediate action.
As soon as i get very low and depressed i reach for the tablets to take all the hurt away
What do you think of my suggestion above? You may not have seen it because it was added as an edit.
i have tried giving the tablets to my partner but he's not very good at hiding them. when i go to emergency room they just put me in touch with crisis team who are very shot term help.
Maybe you could benefit from Cogntive Behaviral Therapy or Dialectical Behavior Therapy. They would be long term help and assist you in stopping the urges and changing your thinking so that you feel better. See if you can find a therapist who specializes in these approaches.

Also it is possible that you need your medication adjusted. Tell the doctor about the suicdal thoughts.

In the meantime, notice what has stopped you in the past (spiritual beliefs, thoughts of loved ones) and think of these things whenever you have this urge. Continue the strategy of having the pills out of yout sight.

Good luck to you.
Having technical glitches....Sorry for the delayed responses.