Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am looking for a child psychiatrist for my step-daughter.

Customer Question
Hello, I am looking for...
Hello, I am looking for a child psychiatrist for my step-daughter. She is 10 years old and her biological mother left her when she was 5 years old. Recently her mother has come back into her life and she has been having supervised visits via Skype with a couselor. This couselor is requesting that we take her to someone that specializes in children since she does not. She also suggested it be a woman psychiatrist since studies show that adolecent girls do better with females. Would this be true even if she has been abandoned by a woman and her only steady relationship has been with her father? My step-daughter says she has no preference with seeing a male or female. She only states she doesn't want to go to any more couseling. Anyone had a similar situation? Any good results? Mainly I would like to hear back from someone who specializes in child psychology or a child psychiatrist. Any help would be greatly appricated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/11/2010
Mental Health Professional: AskAmyP, Therapist replied 8 years ago
AskAmyP
AskAmyP, Therapist
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.
My initial reaction would be to ask your step-daughter if she has a preference. Because you're right that regardless if studies show most adolescent girls have a better reaction to females, there are some that do better with males. You're step-daughter may be one of those. You can also ask to speak with your step-daughter's counselor without her to find out if there are specific reasons why she feels your step-daughter may do better with a female than a male.
I hope that this has helped. Please feel free to ask further questions if you need more information.
Accepts are greatly appreciated.
Relist: I wanted to get an answer from a psychiatrist or a person the specializes in child psychology. I feel like this person isn't qualified enough to answer my question..
I wanted to get an answer from a psychiatrist or a person the specializes in child psychology. I feel like this person isn't qualified enough to answer my question.
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Hi, I will try to help but I am a bit confused. The Skype counselor wants you to take her to a child psychiatrist or child psychologist? A psychiatrist does assessment, diagnosis and treatment (primarily prescribing medication) and a psychologist does assessment, diagnosis and treatment (counseling). I am assuming that it is the later that she is recommending.

Concerning the gender of the mental health provider, besides that other things already mentioned, there is another reason favoring a female. Since she has been abandoned by mother (female), she may better work out her issues (such as anger, depression) with a female. She may "project" her feelings onto the therapist who will accept them and not judge her for them. In the psychology field this is called transference and is a factor in why therapy "works".

I hope this is helpful.