Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

This is an interesting website. I'm a physician who was just…

Customer Question
This is an interesting website...
This is an interesting website. I'm a physician who was just named in a lawsuit and I'm looking for some kind of online support group for litigation stress. Can't seem to find anything. Are you aware of anything?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/11/2010
Mental Health Professional: rayanswers,
 replied 8 years ago
rayanswers
Thanks for your question.You may well want to not talk to anyone here.The problem here it is in litigation.If your discussion here got out they may use your e-mail discussion against you.You just never know who is listening and you really need to be careful who you discuss these matters with.A good lawyer will talk to you personally about your feelings and fears here as well.That may be your only confidant other than close relatives.I would share this with other professionals you never know who may show up filing medical complaint or on the other side.I know its hard --you may consider professional counseling here.
Mental Health Professional: cathy, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional

Hi and while I am not entirely sure of what the security guidelines are here, I will say that without details of your case you are pretty safe. Having said that, I would concur that you should be able to speak with your attorney but also that within the AMA there are those who have been through what you describe and can help you.

Also, if you have mentors or professors or attendings with whom you trained as a resident or intern and you can trust them, by all means pick up the phone.

I worked for ten years as a supervisor of psychiatry in a small NYC hospital and many physicians and nurses sought confidential help from me over the years. They were never sent by counsel, they knew me from working with me and found their way to my office. Sometimes it was a lawsuit, other times addiction and then there were divorces, kid problems and you name it.

My point to you is that you do not feel as if you are alone and no one is in your court. You are not alone, but what you lack is the information to access the resources available to you to find the support you need. I do not know where you work or under what conditions but I would respectfully ***** ***** my colleague Ray from legal. I have to say that you need all the support you can get on this, and you can get it. Talk to your attorney and ask them for the best route on this. The AMA has always provided help and to be sure you are not the first MD in this situation and not the last and depending upon your specialty you should find lots and lots of support.

I am so sorry for your distress. Get some support on this and do feel better.

Nothing is worse than feeling isolated and as if you are alone in this.

Warm regards, Cathy

cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional