Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have an adult son that has had an anger problem for

Customer Question
several years. He has...
I have an adult son that has had an anger problem for several years. He has everything going for him but is thowing it all away because he is constantly blowing up at everyone.
I has his mother am very upset and scared for him and everyone around. He's engaged and
his fiance his about to call it quits. I have tried to get him to get help but he refuses.
Please point me in the right direction
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/11/2010
Mental Health Professional: AskAmyP, Therapist replied 8 years ago
AskAmyP
AskAmyP, Therapist
I began to assist you in your other question that you have posted. Please use that question for further assistance. Thank you.

I did not get any answer, I really don't think you can help me. He needs to go and have

someone personally help him. thank you. I have been unable to get your answer so

never mind. I do hope my charge is not charged.

Thank you.

I'm sorry you were unable to see my previous answer. I have copied and pasted it below.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is ***** ***** I will help assist you today. It must be extremely challenging to live in that situation. Unfortunately there is no way for you to "force" your adult son into treatment. If he is threatening bodily harm you should contact the police immediately. The police have the ability to take him for a required psychiatric evaluation. Some states allow family members to file a request with the courts mandating the individual receive a psychiatric evaluation, but typically this is only if the person is homicidal/suicidal/psychotic. The other option you do have, if he is living with you, is to tell him that if he wishes to remain in your home, he must enter treatment and if he does not he will be forced to leave your home. Before you make this statement, be aware that you must follow through and also individuals that are forced into treatment often are less invested in treatment than those who voluntarily seek treatment. If you need any more information please feel free to ask. I hope that this was helpful. Accepts are greatly appreciated.
My understanding is that you are not charged until you hit the accept button.
One other thing I would add with this additional information is that sometimes individuals have to hit "rock bottom" in order to realize that they have problems. While as horrible as it may be, if your son's fiance feels she must leave it may be enough for him to realize how severe things are that he will get help himself. My thoughts will be with you in this difficult situation.