Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 23 yr old daughter was diagnosed with PTSD due to

Customer Question
sexual violence. She was...
My 23 yr old daughter was diagnosed with PTSD due to sexual violence. She was seen by a psychiatrist, told her the event ( I do not know it) and accepted medication. She was, at that time hearing voices, unable to sleep which I know is due to anxiety. She started Celexa and within days was so much better. She told me the voices were whispers, she was more engaged, talkative and "her old self"
She will not continue the medicine believes people are taking things, she locks her bedroom, accuses me of going into her email, knowing things which she has told me but does denies ever telling me.
She is suffering; but does not see this, has isolated herself, it is very sad Any thoughts?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i believe your daughter has developed psychosis as she is delusional ( having false firm beliefs which are untrue and lack logical reasoning) and hallucinations ( hearing non existent voices ) and paranoia ( suspicious about others without any reason).

And this psychosis may be a direct implication of her PTSD , which got outO f hand and was not adequately managed , and so it lead to psychosis ..

So, i suggest that you again consult her psYchiatrist and get her started evaluated for psychosis and then get her started on an anti psychotic drug such as risperidone or seroquel , while continuing on the anti depressant drug such as celexa ..

I suggest you shall discuss this with her psychiatrist and get the necessary additions done in her drug regime..and hopefully this will take care of her bizarre behaviour and bring respite to her from her PTSD..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards.

Dr.

The information I gave you is somewhat history of...the treatment. At this point in time she does NOT take meds, sees no need for an MD, truly believes HER truths (which you did explain)

The issue is how, at age 23 to get her to the MD

Well, in that case where she is currently in full blown psychotic state and is delusional ( firmly believes her beliefs ) and is not wiling to seek help of a psychiatrist , then in that case , i would suggest that you have to call up the emergency room and ask for transfer of your daughter to an indoor psychiatry facility in the hospital , where she will be evaluated by a psychiatrist and shall be treated with anti psychotic drug under supervision of the psychiatrist ..

So, call up the emergency room and get hospital transfer of her for evaluation and proper treatment, which means that your consent being her mother would be required and since she lacks insight about her illness , so you need to take the initiative and get her evaluated in this manner , which will have to take place against her will , forcibly..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards.