Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I wonder whether you can help. For the last 5 years my mum…

Customer Question
I wonder whether you can...
I wonder whether you can help.
For the last 5 years my mum has not been herself some of the times. She is very distrusfull, she thinks my dad, sister and me are blind to what is happening in the real world. She does not have many friends and because of the personality, she does not talk much, she very introverted.
Yesterday, she put in the bin 15 litters of cooking oil because she thought it was not up for eating. She had done this in the past when visiting my sister, when my mum asked who had been in the house, because the oil was poisoned.
She has also started binning other things such as 20 cans of canned peach, etc. They tend to have large quantities of certain foods in the house because they produce them or just organise the food for the year.
She also stopped eating fruits that were home produced because my dad cured the food with chemicals so that they were not eaten by insects.
My grandmother and uncle have more extreme symptoms, such as believing that some people close
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Good Morning,

What you have described sounds like she may be suffering from a delusional disorder/ paranoid tendencies. If the diagnosis is confirmed, anti psychotic medication can manage these symptoms. She would have to be evaluated by a psychiatrist not her GP since this is a serious mental illness that a trained professional will have to handle.

If she is to go to her evaluation, offer to go with her and provide some of the information about her behavior as well as that of her relatives. It there is schizophrenia in her immediate family, the chances of her to have the disorder are higher.

Hi again, Thanks for your reply. My mother does not accept any of this and she is not willing to go to a doctor. Do you have any suggestions on how the immediate family can help her and things that we should do / should not do.

Thanks

If she is resistant, then you would have a harder time (perhaps a family intervention in the home to help her see reason) Another option would be to see if there are moil therapists that can come to the home (but she would still have to be willing to talk to someone)

Find out from her if she feels happy/satisfied with how things are going. If she says no, then ask her what would it take for her to feel better (what would need to happen) That would she would have some control over this and may not feel resentful for your suggestion that perhaps she could talk to someone who is not a family member (an objective person)

Being the bearer of the news, there is not much that can be done to force her into treatment and unless she poses an imminent danger to self or another, they won't keep her at the hospital. If your grandmother and uncle are receiving some sort of treatment for their own condition, perhaps they can assist you in relating your concern to her.