Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I recently went to a psychological evaluation for a job and…

Customer Question
I recently went to a...
I recently went to a psychological evaluation for a job and I failed. The Test results states: that the MMPI was done in an extremely gaurded manner which resulted in its inability to be scored since it would have been invalid.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Doctor Blake, Psychologist replied 8 years ago
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist

Good morning.

Yes, this is possible. One of the personality measures that psychologists employ is called the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), and has undergone several revisions over the decades.

In addition to the clinical and content scales of the MMPI, there are several "validity scales" which measure your consistency of responses, your attention to responses, whether you tend to be "faking good" or "faking bad," as well as defensiveness.

If you score in the significant range on enough of the validity measures, the MMPI is considered invalid to interpret... the assumption being if you're not providing valid responses to the validity measures, the results from the entire MMPI are suspect enough to be thrown out.

That explains the MMPI and why it could have been deemed invalid. One doesn't really "fail" the MMPI, but it can be invalidated. Is there a more specific question I can answer?

Thanks.