Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

After being cured is it possible to have a relapse of split…

Customer Question
After being cured is it...
After being cured is it possible to have a relapse of split personality disorder several years later?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: cathy, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional

Hi and thanks for writing.

You cannot be cured of split personality.

So you cannot relapse.

Since we currently use the term dissociative identity disorder and never have used split personality disorder it makes me wonder what kind of treatment you had.

I understand PTSD and I understand DID but not split personality and would have to wonder who told you this and why?

It is exceedingly common that people with PTSD are misdiagnosed with bi polar disorder and finally

can you formulate a question for us

:)

Just ask us a question so you can best help us to help you.

Warm regards, Cathy

I was diagnosed by a child psychiatrist I was seeing at the time. She talked alot about dissociation and split personality so maybe she was trying to help me to understand what it was and I don't recall the exact name of the disorder. I had different identities in that they were different ages and personalities but they were all called the same name as myself. Can this happen in DID?

Hi, Just a few more questions here and I do apologize for being so tedious with you but you have brought up such a rare disorder and it is hard to know what actually did happen with you and your treatment.

I thank you in advance for your patience on this and for helping me to get to the bottom of this so I can best help you.

First off, you were in therapy with the same child psychologist for all these years?

Was she a psychologist or psychiatrist?

How often did you see her?

How many times per week did she treat you?

At what age do you feel these personalities were reintegrated?

Were you ever referred out for testing? Were you ever sent to a residential facility for testing over a period of three months or more?

Thank you so much for your having to answer so many more questions.

You have my very best wishes on this and I am concerned about what you have written.

Cathy

I was in therapy with the same Dr. for all of these years and she was a child psychiatrist whom I saw 2-3 times per week. The only time I was seen by other doctors/psychiatrists was during brief hospitalizations (1-2 days) resulting from dissociative episodes. Each time these hospital doctors spoke to my treating psychiatrist and shortly afterwards if I didn't require further treatment for sustained injuries I was discharged.

I felt the personalities were integrated at the age of approximately 23, as they didn't come out and take over anymore, though I have always communicated with one who calms me down during upsetting or stressful times and still do. It is like she is inside my head. Her name is ***** ***** we feel that we would be lost without each other. At extremely difficult times when Carly has trouble soothing me the others begin arguing with Carly and there is alot of shouting and turmoil inside my head and things get really tough but Carly seems to win all the time and the others go away and it is just Carly and myself again. We need each other. We were never sent for testing or sent to a residential facilty for any length of time.

You know it is not possible to have a relapse if you were effectively treated for DID, so my guess is one of two things:

either you were misdiagnosed

or you were mistreated?

Either way I know that brings you so little comfort.

And yea the only way to make a differential diagnosis of DID is to have a three month stay at a facility that specializes in DID

so I am not sure what to say to you.

I would think that the best idea would be to see another therapist and either rule out or confirm your DID which from your post you do seem to convince that you have and then ask for a referral to a specialized DID program so you can work on this?
I am just so sorry, but it is clear that at one end or the other you did not get the care that you need.

Can you do this please and contact a new therapist and re do the psych eval and think about more ideas on this face to face?

I am just so sorry for your distress. You have not be treated well or professionally.

No, there is no such thing as a relapse in DID. You either get treatment that works or it does not.

I wish you all my best on this. If you live in the US, the only hospital that I know on the East Coast is located in Baltimore and it is not Johns Hopkins. I am so sorry I do not recall the name of the facility but all they do is differential diagnosis of DID. That is their only business. When I was working as a supervisor of a psych unit in NYC we had a few bona fide DID clients and all of them were diagnosed by panel in Baltimore. I will try to find the name of the hospital for you tomorrow but frankly I do not recall the name.

If you were not diagnosed by a panel of DID experts it was thought you did not have DID but you certainly do seem to fit the criteria. Let me see if I can find this for you and you can contact them?

You stay well and get some good care.

Warm regards, Cathy