Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 21 year old son is deployed as a medic presently in

Customer Question
afghanistan....and the anxiety , the...
my 21 year old son is deployed as a medic presently in afghanistan....and the anxiety , the stress is really takinga toll on me right now...i take 20mg of paxil a day but have notice signifigant weight gain in the last year i have been taking it. im consider weaning myself off of it , going against my friends advice due to all my stress factors right now,. but when i have tried to wean myself off the paxil i become very dizzy like vertigo...could the paxil be part of my weight gain?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Paxil is definitely part of weight gain. Yet other medications, cymbalta, celexa, pristiq, prozac, etc, help with weight gain being unusual. You need to CHANGE (not quit) medications and seek counseling to deal with the circumstances.