Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I'm curious about psychopathy. I have read a lot of

Customer Question
information about it on dr...
I'm curious about psychopathy. I have read a lot of information about it on dr. Robert Hare's website (and other places#. I have seen some of the tests and I score well over 25-30 #of 40) points on them. When I read about psychopathy I feel it describes me and my own behaviour very well, except for the parts about violence.
I can find lots of information about how to live with or recover from psychopaths but nothing about how it is to live as a psychopath. Do you know where I can read more about this? I can see that my behaviour destroys my own life and I really want to be able to feel things "normal" people feel. I want to avoid hurting people around me. Do you have any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker replied 8 years ago
Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I would suggest that you start by being honest with your psychologist. You can not get better if you are not willing to be honest and share everything with your psychologist. They can not help you unless you tell them everything. I would also see if they can do some testing to see if that is truly your diagnosis or if something else is going on such as bi-polar or depression that can be treated with medications. If it is a true psychopath diagnosis there is no medications and it is very hard to treat. The fact that you have the ability to see that you are hiring others and that you want to stop may rule out psychopath because a true psychopath lacks empathy which you appear to me to have. Please talk to your psycholosit and be honest about how you feel and your concerns over a diagnosis. They can also refer you to a psychiatrist if needed. Please let me know if I can assist anymore!
Thank you for your reply. Is there anywhere I can read about psychopathy as seen from the "inside"? Everyone writes about how they are viewed and percieved, but I haven't found anything about how they view it from their own situation.
I will post some links that may help. Let me know.

http://www.beyondsatire.us/node/173

http://www.cassiopaea.com/cassiopaea/psychopath.htm

http://www.askdrrobert.dr-robert.com/twopsychopaths.html

I agree that there is not a lot of information out there for psychopaths. But many of them are not seeking help and do not see themselves as a problems. So the people they hurt are the ones left trying to recover. Please see if these articles are of any help.
Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Thank you very much, this was exactly what I was looking for.