Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My question has to do with anxiety and pain. I recently had…

Customer Question
My question has to do...
My question has to do with anxiety and pain. I recently had a surgery and my heart rate went up to 150 or so for days. It's now down with exercise and feeling better physically but what can I do to not stress my body when these inevitable moments occur. I also have had opposite reactions to Demarol and morphine during these times. Makes me hyper and intensifies the pain. I had a colonoscopy a few years ago and had 6 injections of Demarol and walked out keyed to the max. Is there something I can do ahead of time to help? I'm a 50 yo woman in good health otherwise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You're one of the rare people who has this opposite reaction. The best thing to do is to let all healthcare providers know your history with narcotics before any treatment so that they can take measures to control your anxiety and blood pressure. There are non-narcotic medications they can give you post surgery (Ketorlac for one) that will take care of pain without getting you keyed up.

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna