Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 9 year old will rock or almost grind in her chair when in…

Customer Question
My 9 year old will...
My 9 year old will rock or almost grind in her chair when in school or concentrating on a game etc. I have asked her about it and she says she can't stop. This started last year we saw a counsler for awhile but she hated to go and would not participate so we stopped. I think it got better for a while. I have asked her if anyone has ever touched her and she says no. She won't tell me what she thinks about when she does it. We just found out I am having a baby. Could it be a sign of stress? She also shows very slight symptoms of ADD.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Good Evening,

Her behavior may be anxiety related. Rocking is at times also done as a way of self stimulation; it may have become a habit.

You've mentioned that she did not like to go to counseling. That may have been just then. Try to find out if she would like to try group counseling with other children of her age with similar issues. You of course would want to find out what is triggering this.

She is 9 and may not be very capable of verbalizing completely how she feels. Try to engage her in some of her favorite activities- play, drawing, help you cooking, etc. and then ask her what is going on at school (does she have friends, are there difficult classes and strict teachers, etc) It wold help to know if she does this in all of her classes (what may have taken place before that) At least at home you can start to monitor the behavior and see if something is triggering it. When you notice her to start doing it, then try to ask her to help you with something in a way to redirect her attention from the current behavior. Just plan ahead of what things to ask of her when the behavior starts so you can try to reshape it with time.