Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am 64 years old and have suffered with depression for the…

Customer Question
I am 64 years old...
I am 64 years old and have suffered with depression for the past 38 years. I was originally on amitriptyline and this was changed to paroxetine 12 years ago. I have been going through a particularly bad patch these last two months and my GP has now prescribed mirtazapine 30 mg. Is it O.K. to start on this dose and cut out the paroxetine. I have seen a number of psychiatrists who tell me that I am one of those people who should not come off antidepressants because when I did in the 70's and 80's i suffered really bad relapses resulting in complete breakdowns. I have heard quite a few bad reports about the side effects of mirtazapine and am rather hesitant to try it. Perhaps I should try increasing the paroxetine. I am currently taking 20 mg. What do you think. I am so tired and lethargic all the time and hardly ever go out and my self esteem is practically nil. I have very negative thoughts and wish I wasn't here.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 day by:
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Changing to Mitrazapine and quitting Paxil is fine, actually good. Paxil is very sedating. Online I hear bad reports about all meds. On practice it is usually just a very low percent. I never recommend Paxil because of the side effects. You can ask for something different than Mitrazapine if you don't like that idea. Pristiq and Cymbalta are pretty good for energy. Hang in there through transition.
lt;p>Is it O.K to stop paroxetine completely or should it be reduced gradually?  What is the recommended dosage on first starting mirtazepine?</p><p> </p><p>Thank you</p>
I recommend talking to your doctor. If not possible, I would try a half dose of each for 5 days, then Mitrazapine. Starting dose of Mitrazapine is 15 mg. If you are on 20 mg of paxil, you should be ok on 10mg Paxil and 15 of mitrazapine for 5-7 days before switching to 30 of mitrazapine. If on more than 20 of Paxil, I would cut it to 20 for 5 days before adding mitrazapine. You can just cut out Paxil totally and start Mitrazapine 15 for 5 days and then go to 30. To some extent, let the side effects guide you. If quitting Paxil is uncomfortable, the do the 50/50. If you can comfortably quit paxil and start Mitrazapine, (Most people can) that is fine.
I hope you feel better soon.