Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

After several attempts, (French)doctors have failed to find…

Customer Question
Good morning. After several attempts, (French)doctors...
Good morning.
After several attempts, (French)doctors have failed to find the right antidepressant for me. Effexor worked very well but ended up in hepatitis after 3 months, which led to a new and tough depressive episodes. Other antidepressants (Norset, Escitalopram and Sertraline) did not have any effect on my mood. Although I feel pretty well compared to 1 year ago, suicide ideation comes from time to time and energy level is low. Some kind of social phobia has also appeared, together with aggressiveness. I'm not particularly happy with psychiatrists I've met so far as I haven't received any explanation to my (poor) response to antidepressants. My guess is that Effexor worked well because of its psychotonic effect while others were more on the sedative side, which is not what I need.
From reading several articles on the subject, switching to a different kind of AD could be a good strategy, but my doctor still believe in SSRI. I have heard that Bubropion could give me the kind of energy I lack, although I fear the impact of this medication on irritability and hypersensitivity, which has been a major problem for me in the past. May be a combination of two AD could work, but my knowledge on this kind of strategy is very limited.
I would be interested in your advice.
Pierre-Michel
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 day by:
6/10/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Keane, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Hi and welcome, Sorry you are having such a difficult time finding the correct medication and an open minded psychiatrist who is capable of expanding your medication regimen. You would benefit from finding a psycho-pharmacologist, that is a psychiatrist who is well versed and up to date on all the medications available to help you as well as finding, through trial and error, which combination would work best for you based on your medical issues and your psychological problems. You may very well benefit with a combination of two AD. I have had many patients who were on Wellbutrin (Bubropion) and none have reported serious side effects. Like most AD, side effects do lessen and disappear after the initial introduction. If your current doctor is agreeable to giving it to you and it's medically safe then you should at least try it.
If you are not in therapy I would encourage you to think about that as an adjunct therapy. Medication is fine but therapy can help you learn how to resolve your social phobia and any other anxiety issues. The type of therapy best suited for this would be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I hope this has helped.
Please click accept and leave feedback.

Obviously my question was directed to an expert in psychopharmacology (actually I asked this question because one expert in the website I was looking at has answered this kind of question). I'm already following a psychotherapy.