Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband harrassed/stalked me for 5 years before I agreed…

Customer Question
My husband harrassed/stalked me...
My husband harrassed/stalked me for 5 years before I agreed to marry him.I couldnt get away from him for 25 years . 15 years ago i left him. Now he has moved near our children. Im very concerned. Can I get him sectioned ? Is he a psychopath?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/9/2010
Mental Health Professional: cathy, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional

Hi and thanks for writing.

No, you cannot get him sectioned because you have not posted any information that would lead us to believe he is a danger to himself, danger to others, at risk at drawing harm to himself from others. If you have that information by all means let us know.

No, we no longer use the term psychopath. It is not a psychiatric term any more.

He could just be one mean, selfish, abusive, offensive human?

and that would be grounds enough for legal action.

You don't need labels when someone is behaving poorly all you need is documentation of actions.

Regrettably you can not get someone sectioned just because they are a horrible human. There are things that you can do to prevent them from harming you.

Let me know if there is more on this that I can help you with.

Warm regards, Cathy

Thank you Cathy. What legal action can I take?

He no ,longer harrasses me, he has my children now.

I have told the police and they said only

my children can take any legal action.

I think they are terrified of him.

He actually disabled me and they

are suffering at his hands now.

I feel trapped again.

Hmm, I have talked to a few attorneys about this and I am hesitant to share.

Okay, you can get a restraining order that you can renew yearly if you can prove he disabled you, but I am so hesitant to recommend this because if he hurt you then you will be retriggered by the trauma over and over again and I just so don't want you to feel that pain over and over again.

Yes, I know the legal system does not always work as we might like.

I hesitate on so many levels to tell you this and I have to be very very clear that you cannot do this unless you have absolute and sure proof, but your only out might be your local department of children and families. If you have sure proof that your children are terrified of their father, then place a call to DCF. At the very least they will go in and monitor their situation and you can put your mind at ease knowing there is a supervising body watching over them. Without more information on your case I cannot say more.

I am wondering why, if you have proof, that he disabled you, he has any contact with your children and I suppose that is the missing puzzle piece for me.

I do not wish for you to be re traumatized, but I think without having that one piece of information it is so hard for me to respond and also keep you safe.

Let me know what you think.

All my best and warm regards ***** ***** very tough question.

Cathy