How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Blake Your Own Question
Doctor Blake
Doctor Blake, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 146
Experience:  Ph.D., Ed.S., NCSP Clinical Psychologist; 15+ years of experience; dual licensure
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Doctor Blake is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being treated at the VA for PTSD and I believe I am also

Resolved Question:

I am being treated at the VA for PTSD and I believe I am also suffering from OCD or an eating disorder. Is there a therapist in KC you can recommend?


Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Blake replied 7 years ago.

Good morning.


Thanks for writing to JA.


Good morning.


I'm sorry that you're going through a rough patch right now. I certainly wouldn't diagnose over the internet (neither appropriate nor ethical), but I do have some advice regarding the proper treatments for anxiety/depression.


I am glad to learn that you are seeking help for PTSD at the local VA. In addition to the treatment you are currently receiving, I would check into Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMD-R). This is a somewhat controversial treatment that originated in California (and then extended from Chicago). The EMD-R employs cognitive behavioral strategies to process information, but also employs a visual scanning technique (emphasizing saccadic eye movement) which has been found to be helpful in processing some traumatic life events. I know that some VAs employ EMD-R almost exclusively - while others "forbid it." I would check with your therapist to see if s/he is familiar with the technique and if you might be a good candidate.


Regarding the OCD, research has consistently demonstrated that treatment plus medication is more effective than medication alone or treatment alone for depression and/or anxiety. Further research has shown that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the most effective form of psychological treatment/intervention - particularly in dealing with mood and/or anxiety disorders (like OCD).


Ask the team treating your PTSD to explore your OCD symptoms - and determine if this relates to an underlying eating disorder or to an obsession with counting.


A licensed psychologist/psychotherapist with specific training in CBT modalities would be able to address your concerns. I would encourage you to find a licensed mental health professional with whom to work, employing CBT. If you are addressing OCD, a specific form of CBT is called Exposure with Response Prevention (ERP) [Lots of letters, I know... sorry.] ERP has been found to be as effective or more effective than traditional medications for OCD. Be sure when you speak to a possible licensed mental health professional that s/he employs CBT techniques - not just "influences from CBT" or "an eclectic approach."


With regard to medical treatment, many/most physicians appear to begin with a Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) to treat anxiety. Because I am not an MD, it is beyond my purview to address medication concerns, however.


Again, the mantra of years of research says: medication or treatment alone is not as effective as both working in tandem. Some research has also indicated that insight-oriented talk therapy is counter-productive with some forms of mood and/or anxiety disturbance... it actually exacerbates the condition(s) [This is especially true with OCD]. So, seek out a CBT therapist who will provide targeted, efficient, and effective therapy - not someone who signs you as a "lifer." If you're going to a therapist for years, something about the therapy isn't working.


Your VA-team likely employs CBT in much of their practice. If not, they *may* know of a CBT licensed mental health professional in your area. Please make certain, however, that they employ CBT practices.


Thanks. I hope you're well and that this was helpful.


* FEEDBACK ENCOURAGED. Please contact me prior to leaving negative feedback so that we can resolve the matter. I am eager to work with all JA clients to provide them with useful/helpful answers. Thanks again.

Doctor Blake and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions