How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is 60yrs old,has been in phillipines for seven

Customer Question

my brother is 60yrs old,has been in phillipines for seven years and beleives he is going to find gold to solve all his financial problems(which he doesnt see as a problem) Save all the people in the Phillipines including the goverment ect. He keeps pressing his family for money and cannot see reason, we are at our wits end. How can we get him to see a health proffessional? I beleive he is suffering from a mental disoder.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

Yes, it sounds like your brother is delusional. Unfortunately, there is no way to motivate someone to seek help if they do not see their behavior as a problem. Obviously, at some point he will run out of money and when he is not able to find gold he will become very depressed and at that time you may be able to convince him to seek help.

Until he "hits bottom" your chances are zero of convincing him to seek help, because as you said, he doesn't see that there is a problem. I am so sorry I am not able to offer any more helpful advice, because I know this is very distressing to the family.

I wish you and your family the very best. Your brother is lucky to have people who care for him as much as you do.