Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Are the divorce rates really high for patients that have

Are the divorce rates really high for patients that have undergone weight lose surgery after they have have lost alot of weight?My wife is planning this surgery soon and our marriage is not strong to begin with!
Hello & Welcome to Just Answers.

You're asking the right question. When a woman is ready for the surgery, she is usually ready to shed excess baggage along with her weight. If your relationship falls into that category, it's at a high risk. Many relationships fail when one person goes through treatment and the other doesn't engage in a similar level of change. It usually happens 12-18 months after treatment. The power of freedom and strength that comes from accomplishment brings all kinds of new growth in it's wake....she will change in many ways if she's successful in her weight loss goals.

I suggest you do what ever it is that you can to get yourself in tip top emotional and physical shape right along with her so that you don't get left on the road to her recovery.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.

Thanks!

Anna