Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show
25768173

VIOLENT BEHAVIOR AND THEN NO MEMORY OF THE ACT

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 7 years ago.

Greetings:

Okay... do you have a specific question?

Dr. Steve

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
iS THERE A MENTAL DISORDER FOR THIS BEHAVIOR AND SHOULD i SPEAK TO SOMEONE
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello again:

Thanks for clarifying for me. And to answer your question directly, the symptoms you describe are usually the result of either:

(1) some sort of neurological problem. If there has been an insult to the limbic system and/or frontal lobe of the brain, either through head injury, drug abuse, or infection/lesion, then a person can begin to act out in bizarre ways with no memory of their actions. Please consult a neurologist to begin the evaluation process, as you may be in danger of this issue growing worse.

(2) Otherwise, there are times in people with severe bipolarity for them to behave erratically with no memory of what they had done.

(3) The most obvious choice would be to pursue drug/alcohol abuse. Acting in a blackout is common for folks with alcoholic tendencies, and there are a number of drugs which can also bring this about.

In any event, I would urge you to get evaluated. You will want to take care of this before you really hurt somebody, really hurt yourself, or get tied up in the legal system. If you are satisfied with the response, please hit "Accept." That is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. Thanks-

Dr. Steve

Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 7 years ago.

Hello again:

Dr. Steve