How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 17 year old, Since he was 15 he has displayed

This answer was rated:

I have a 17 year old, Since he was 15 he has displayed defiant behavior. He is in trouble at school all the time and he blames the teaschers. He has gone to summer school the last three years. He is definat, he steals, he is easly annoyed fights with his arents, is angry and shows aggression when talke with us. He used the f word like its water, and I believe he is drinking and doing drugs. He has show this aggresive behavior for over 1 year.   Could he have conduct disorder? He has also run away from home, and he defies authority of any kind
Thank you for using I'm sorry to hear your son is going through this. He very well could have conduct disorder. He also could be behaving this way due to using drugs and alcohol. Drugs and alcohol can mimic conduct disorder.
I would take him for an assessment by a psychiatrist that specializes in working with adolescents and then allow the professionals to decide what type of therapy he needs and how long he needs to stay in therapy. If he refuses this you can enroll him in troubled youth/wilderness treatment program, take him there and leave him there regardless of his protests. This can be hard for a parent to do but it sounds like he might need this type of intervention.

If your son refuses to participate you can evaluate the idea of pursuing a CHINS petition. Depending on the state you can get one up until 17 years old, some allow you to pursue it after 17 years old. This is a court order that forces your son to participate in court ordered treatment and stay clean and sober from drugs and alcohol at least until he is 18 years old. If he does not comply they will require him to go to a program for further help. Here is a link to tell you more about CHINS petitions. I think this would be the best way to go because he is doing whatever he wants and it would be very difficult for you and your husband to change this if he is not willing.

Please let me know if you have any other question or if you need further clarification about this answer.

I wish you the best with this situation.

Take care, Kym
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you