How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 251
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was diagnosed bipolar by a psychiatrist and is

This answer was rated:

my daughter was diagnosed bipolar by a psychiatrist and is taking sarequel(?). Her psychiatrist quit her practice and no other psychiatrist will take her in our area. They either do not take new patients or will not take her Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance. They charge $400 per appointment. She is a cashier in local store and cannot afford that. She feels she should go to the ER as her medicine is running out. Is it dangerous to quit the medicine mentioned above abruptly? Will the ER get her in with another psychiatrist even though we can't? We live in Longview, TX.
Thank you for using I'm wondering if you have community mental health services in Longview? I found this place and I think it is your community mental health provider. Almost all states have reduced rate mental health services for people that can not afford treatment. Another option is to call her primary care Dr. Most PCP's will prescribe Seroquel until you can find someone else to prescribe it and some will continue to prescribe it indefinitely. If her current PCP won't you can call around to others and ask if they will. Also, the makers of Seroquel offer an iindigent program to help pay for the cost of the medication once there is a Dr. that will prescribe it for her.

It would be dangerous for her to quit the medication abruptly if she is using it to treat bipolar disorder or hallucinations. The ER will typically have a list of psychiatrists that they refer to and you can call them and ask who they refer to without going to the ER. Lastly, I would call the ER if the above suggestions do not work and ask them if they will send her home with a prescription if she comes there seeking help due to not having a Dr.

I hope these suggestions help. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need clarification about this answer.

Take care,
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you