Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I suffer from deppression for almost a year, since my dad

Customer Question

I suffer from deppression for almost a year, since my dad had a CVA. I have been in a mental istitution for 1 week in February and I am improving slightly. However, I'm feeling like a burden to all my loved ones who support me 100%. I wonder how long can they take this such difficult illness to understand. I am not suicidal, but I do get very agitated on feeling how I feel some times. I am currenty hidding how I feel, to my family, husband and even phsychiatrist, I want to feel better and want to fight thi off me. I am just very quiet at the moment and try not to show how I feel, but however this does not make me feel better at all... how do I not become the center of attention within my loved ones and avoid them to get frustrated if I feel down?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Only you can tell if they truly love you. If they do the last thing that they would desire for them to hide your true feelings which makes you attempt to hide your feelings not only courter productive and does not allow you to be true friends and express their feelings and not waste their support which would be good for you and them (so they do not feel helpless.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They truly love me.I just do not want to be another problem in their lifes anymore, they have already been though enough with me.

Helping some one you love is not a burden. In fact it takes away the feeling of helplessness. If your description is accurate then again it is not a burden, like I said it allows them to feel positive that they did something to help. The problem is when some one you love is in pain and there is nothing you can do about it..

Best wishes and good luck

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Best wishes and good luck

Sincerely,

Ralph

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your kind words Ralph,

I have been told by my doctor that this would be a speedy recovery as it was due to my father getting ill, now he is giving me a time span of 3 to 4 years as it developed to be a more serious depression, I just feel that I shouldn't be worrying them every single day with my ups and downs, despite their full support, I can appreciate how much of the same thing a person can take... I try to keep my feelings to mydelf and it gives me excruciating headaches. I even thought of leaving the medication and try to fight it myself, but my mum does not recommend me to do that as my body can go into shock and I can get worse..I'm just trying my best to find a shortcut and get well as soon as possible without worrying others, but I keep feeling frustrated.

Regards,

Rita