How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Norman M. Your Own Question
Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2568
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Norman M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with Dyslexia at age 11. He

Resolved Question:

My 17 year old son was diagnosed with Dyslexia at age 11. He has had challenges but a very happy child hood until the recent stress of being a teenager. He is depressed and angry and suffers from insomia and racing thoughts. I took him last week to see a phychiatrist who gave him a low dose of seroquel xr. He came to me for help and I worry he will just be placed on drugs. I live in Ottawa Canada do you know of any doctors that might have information on Dyslexia and Depression.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

First of all, if he does have depression, he is probably better on medication, preferably combine with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Secondly, the Royal Ottawa Mental Healthy Centre has a couple of well regarded youth programs dealing with both depression and dsylexia on an outpatient basis - more information here:

You will also find some good support here:
Norman M. and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you