Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

How do i tell my employer no matter how hard i try i am not

Customer Question

How do i tell my employer no matter how hard i try i am not coping with the job. feel so guilty all the time. spend most of day online surfing sites trying to find answers to my anxiety and suicidal depression. my thoughts are getting scarier and blacker. '
i have seen 2 counsellors in the past 6 months or so and am now going to see a psychiatrist next week. my partner has gone overseas for business for 3 weeks. i am going to see him in 2 weeks, but living on my own at present. trying to distract myself when at home, which is easy.
work is causing me major problems. i am a sales rep and unable to face people or doing simple tasks as i am so stressed out. try to relax, do the breathing and take medication. but i dont think i can get through this next 2 weeks. feel so suicidal i keep thinking of ways to kill myself successfully as dont want to end up physically debilitated and a burden on society, partner, etc.
first of all how to i deal with my employer most effectively.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there ,
Welcome to Just answer..
Well, it seems like you are suffering from major depression and anxiety and the suicidal thoughts that you are having a part of depression. So , right now what you need to do is to report to an emergency and get admitted for a few days to get supervised treatment under the guidance of a psychiatrist , as you see you are having suicidal thoughts and are emotionally vulnerable , with your partner having gone out of station and you are alone , so in this situation where you are suicidal with no one to support you , if your emotions overwhelm you so this may lead to disastrous outcome , so i would suggest you to go to emergency as soon as possible and get evaluated by a psychiatrist and get admitted for few days in indoor psychiatry facility..for supervised treatment ..Incidently , you need to be started on a combination of 1 anti depresant drug such as effexor xr or paxil cr and 1 anti anxiety drug such as klonopin or buspar, the psychiatrist shall start you on this drug regime and this will hopefully help you come out of depression and anxiety and get back your quality of life .
Now , as far as your employer is concerned , you tell him that you want some days off as to seek some therapy to get your issues sorted which are impairing your outcome and once you are done with therapy you will be able to give your 100 percent to your work , so basically ask for a few days leave so that you have time for appropriate evaluation and treatment .
I hope you see reason in my suggestion and do the needful ..
I wish you all the best...
Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service..
Regards..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

this situation has been ongoing for 2-3 years now. As yet, i haven't told them i suffer

depression which does impact on my work regularly, but it is coming to a situation where i am falling further and further behind which increases my guilt and depression further.

i have considered telling them re the illness, but am not sure if it is a good idea or not. ?

Well, you need to tell them about your illness so that the shortcomings at work that you have developed due to depression can be reasoned with and this will act as a shield for you for not getting into trouble with your employer, plus the sympathy will be there for you..

So, tell them about your illness , and also tell them that you are going to be alright once you are started on the medications as depression is a treatable condition with the use of anti depressant drug/ s , this will ensure your employer that your illness is temporary and can be reversed with the treatment and he would be leniant with you while assessing your work..which as you have mentioned has been compromised to an extent .

I hope this helps...

Wish you all the best...

Regards....

I hope this helps...

Wish you all the best...

Regards....