Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

My daugther has dated a man for the past 4 years. 2 years

My daugther has dated a man for the past 4 years. 2 years ago she caught him with another woman and took him back because he was suicidal. She told him if he ever did it again she would not stay with him. Now she has caught him again and the first day she was leaving but now she is wanting to get counseling. I believe he is a pathological liar. He lies at work (as he works at my husband's business) and the employees do not trust or like him. None of us trust him. He is likeable but I believe he has a sex addiction or something. How can we help her?

Really, your daughter is an adult, and responsible for her own decisions.

Effectively, all you can do is make your opinions very clear - just be factual, keep emotion out of it, and make sure that she knows that you will support her.

It might just be useful to remind her that actions DO speak louder than words, and his actions have spoken volumes. We humans only indulge in behaviour that brings reward of some kind. Only when that reward (whatever it might be) disappears, or the consequences of our behaviour promise to be unpleasant do we consider changing what we do. For this very reason, this man is going to continue his infidelity.