How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1945
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife of 12 years is wrongfully accusing me of having had

Resolved Question:

My wife of 12 years is wrongfully accusing me of having had an affair with a woman for the last 5 years. It only happens when she drinks too much which is now almost every other day. She abuses me verbally and physically for hours until she passes out. although I engaged the help of her Doctor, she refuses to get help. I remove the booze when I find it but she buys more. What are my options beside divorce which I consider would be for a stupid reason since she is a very loving wife sober.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answers. You're not alone in this problem. Al Anon is a program for family members of alcoholics, and can help you shore up your boundaries and find ways to best live with your choice to stay married. If her drinking problem continues to run your life, then it's taken down two people instead of just one. By learning to detach with love, you set limits on abuse and maintain your own course. AlAnon is a free, peer led group support system that helps families of those with drinking problems.

She refuses to get help right now, but perhaps it won't always be that way. Find the treatment centers for addiction near you and go speak with them about what family programs they have. You can usually attend family lectures and learn about your resources.

Spelling it out, you have a few options:
Live like you are now.
Insist that she go into treatment for her alcohol problem
Get counseling for yourself
Connect with AlAnon online or in person
Become educated about alcoholism
Leave when she becomes abusive
Stage an intervention with a counselor's help

Alcoholism is one of the few diseases that tells the victim that they don't have it. It makes it very frustrating for family members, but you're not alone, and there is help available for both of you.

About the affair? It's a smokescreen, and I advise you to not engage, defend or discuss it with her. Walk away when she tries to harrange you about anything, but don't engage at all with her on the topic. Tell her once that you'll no longer discuss it, and then stick to your word.

Living with alcoholism

My best to you.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.



Anna and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you