Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My wife has been taking 900mg lithium along with 100 mg

Customer Question

My wife has been taking 900mg lithium along with 100 mg lamictal daily for the last ten years for bipolar disorder. Recently she has developed sores in her mouth along with a white film and small bumps on her tongue and a sort of sticky mouth syndrome. We have checked with several doctors and have been treated and tested for a host of conditions such as candida and shingles, thrush and other auto immune disorders. My question is - could these symtoms be the result of a sudden allergic reaction to either the lithium or the lamictal ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i believe it is not the drugs -- lithium or lamictal which has lead to this present condition of hers as she has been taking these drugs as you have mentioned for seveal years and such kind of delayed reaction is not poissble when she has sustained on these drugs quite well without any side effects having been developed over such a long period .

So, her present situation is not related to the side effects of either of these drugs , and it seems to be related to any other allergy , can be food allergy , which needs to be evaluated properly by a physician..

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then willi be credited for my service.

Regards...