Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

I was treated for depression 10 years ago after my brother

I was treated for depression 10 years ago after my brother died suddenly. For a long time I though it was a one off event but I find myself back in the black hole again and little things in my life seemed to have put me there. How can I be normal one day and then in a blink of an eye be so depressed I cant get out of bed for 24 hours. It seems so hard to think about pulling myself up again, I don't know if I want to.
I love my family very much, but they don't understand what is wrong with me they think that I am a bitch because I don't want to talk to them I just want to be left alone. Can I get myself out of this mess without drugs and doctors giving me that look as if I should be in a rubber room.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for visiting JA.

It is possible that you may need medication, certainly

Medication alone, however, is often not a complete answer, and therefore I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy before you worry too much about meds. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted,

the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfoforall/treatments/cbt.aspx

If you cannot afford to see a therapist, there are good free CBT based self-help resources here:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/cbtstep1.htm