Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have a brother who is 43 years old, he is at home in Iraq

Customer Question
Baghdad for very long time...
I have a brother who is 43 years old, he is at home in Iraq Baghdad for very long time and afraid of people, he just comfortable with the family memebers and few people who can visit us regularly, I am very much concerned about him, he is smoking 4 packs a day of cegartites and drinking too much coffee, gaining too much weight he is now more than 130 Kg's, I don'y know how can I help him, he is on medication for long time, the new medication he is taking is not helping him to get on his fears, his liver is not OK and he is unable to go out for blood test. I am living in Canada and worried about him all the time..I need help
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mental Health
5/2/2010
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, it seems like your brother could be suffering from what is called as Social phobia or Agoraphobia , which makes a person shun away from meeting people who are strangers and wants to remain in the confines of his own home in the company of his known people ..

So, i would suggest that he should be taken to a psychologist who after evaluating him would be able to confirm his diagnosis of social phobia or is it agoraphobia and once the diagnosis is confirmed the psycholohist will have him started on psychotherapy ( counseling ) and the best type of counseling for such phobias is called as Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT ).This therapy will help him to overcome his phobia of going out and meeting people ..and leading a normal life all over again.

see the link below for better understanding of agoraphobia ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis/p20-an03.html

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist