How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4636
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a brother who is 43 years old, he is at home in Iraq

Customer Question

I have a brother who is 43 years old, he is at home in Iraq Baghdad for very long time and afraid of people, he just comfortable with the family memebers and few people who can visit us regularly, I am very much concerned about him, he is smoking 4 packs a day of cegartites and drinking too much coffee, gaining too much weight he is now more than 130 Kg's, I don'y know how can I help him, he is on medication for long time, the new medication he is taking is not helping him to get on his fears, his liver is not OK and he is unable to go out for blood test. I am living in Canada and worried about him all the time..I need help
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,


Welcome to Just answer !


Well, it seems like your brother could be suffering from what is called as Social phobia or Agoraphobia , which makes a person shun away from meeting people who are strangers and wants to remain in the confines of his own home in the company of his known people ..


So, i would suggest that he should be taken to a psychologist who after evaluating him would be able to confirm his diagnosis of social phobia or is it agoraphobia and once the diagnosis is confirmed the psycholohist will have him started on psychotherapy ( counseling ) and the best type of counseling for such phobias is called as Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT ).This therapy will help him to overcome his phobia of going out and meeting people ..and leading a normal life all over again.


see the link below for better understanding of agoraphobia ..


I hope this helps..


I wish you all the best..


Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.



Related Mental Health Questions