Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I met a man who seemed absolutely perfect! Over the past few

I met a man who seemed absolutely perfect! Over the past few months we have been dating, and getting to know each other. We never did more than kiss. Once the relationship started to go to the next level, he withdrew and told me I deserve better - he is incapable of love and romance. WTF? I am so confused. He said he loves talking to me , spending time with me, he met my family and likes them too. He said he is attracted to me but can't give me what I need. He said he has seen a therapist in the past and thinks he should go back. Do I hang in there? I'm so confused by him. I really do adore him. I could actually see myself being with him for a very long time if not forever...until this. Thanks for your input.

There are some people who cannot deal with sexual intimacy for whatever reason. Some times psychotherapy helps, but more times than not they are frozen and can't move on. I would suggest that you recognize this and move on. If you stay you will not be able to help him (he has not asked for help and seems satisfied with his condition). You on the other hand will just get deeper and more hurt. So again as painful as it is I suggest you drop this relation and move on as it is as it will only get more painful as time passes. Best wishes and god luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC